domenica 9 novembre 2014

Crete, Day 1. Finally on holiday.


09/10/2014 - Waking up at 3.30 a.m. That's not fun. We have to be at the airport at least at 4.30. Queuing for half an hour at the security check, because more than five flights left in 30 minutes, but there were just two rows open. 
The flight was quite long, but I slept most of the time. We reached Heraklion airport on time. When I went to the toilet, I realized that I forgot one thing: in Greece you cannot throw toilet paper in the toilet. Again. As in China. Let's move on to the car we rented. We booked a Fiat Panda with Cretarent. The car is quite old and dirty, but it's still fine. We paid 100 € for 8 days. I asked for the naigator but they said I didn't ask for it, so no navigator now. We easily reached our first apartment, the Azure Beach Villas. 
It was so big (they gave us a  four people apartment) and so nice! It was very close to the sea, but it was to cold to go inside and have a swim. We were there at 13.00, but the apartment wasn't ready till 14.00, so we went to Kissamos and had a look around. It was nothing interesting, but we saw a Carrefour and other supermarkets. We ate in a place on the main street that had a sign "greek food" or something like that (I think the name was Pikantiko), and we spent like 10 € for a gyros pita and a gyros dish.
In the evening we went to Chania, the nicest town in Crete to me. We parked near the castle, but not in the fortress parking. When you are in the main street, you have to turn right at the Carrefour supermarket and at the end of the street turn left: there are a lot of parking here. We walk in the pedestrian city centre for a bit, having a look at the restaurants. We decided to stop at Tholos, a beautiful restaurant. The food was not great, but the place was perfect. We spent about 20 € for a Greek salad and a octopus in wine sauce, plus a coke (that was actually a Pepsi) and a bottle of water. Then they gave us for free some raki (grappa) and grapes. We walked around again for a while and we went back home. Ah, speed limits here are very strange and change frequently! There are a lot of speed cameras around.












Nessun commento:

Posta un commento